Have you ever felt that you simply do not belong to the century in which you’ve been born?
(Although, I often doubt my planetary origins as well.)
Possible alien pedigree notwithstanding, I have followed the lives and loves of the inhabitants of Downton Abbey to compensate for my closet born-in-the-wrong-era longings.
The wit and wisdom of the characters, doled out with a healthy dollop of sarcasm, is refreshingly honest and oh-so-relatable against a Monseigneur-ish backdrop.
Come Christmas, the curtain is about to fall on the series’ successful six-year run and I’ve wound up some of my favourite quotes, ripostes and witticisms to commemorate the end of the insanely successful period drama.
1. Razor sharp wit from Lady Violet Crawley, The Dowager Countess of Grantham
2. Quite right, I’m afraid!
3. Well said, Mr. Carson. Well said!
5. Presenting, the Dowager Countess.. (in a voice that brooks no argument)
6. Got to make this my wallpaper.
7. Sounds right out of Jane Austen novel..
8. Amen, Sister!
9. And this grandmère takes the cake..
10. Note to self..
11. Oh my, haven’t we all gone down that road before..
12. Don’t you dare be a stick-in-the-downton-mud!
13. Crash course in acting like a lady.
14. I hope this galvanized you into action!
15. The Dowager simply does not mince words.
16. Lady Mary in one of her more insightful moments..
17. Send this to your lover. Right Now!
18. My motto: Keep the world on its toes!
19. I crack up every time thinking of Mr. Molesley being wild!
20. Emphasizing the ‘that’ will make all the difference!
21. Just go with the flow, bro!
22. The world needs a little more of this kind of thinking.
23. Oh geez, wake up and smell the coffee already; Pearls of wisdom from Mrs. Patmore.
24. There is truth behind these words.
25. Why, yes! However did you guess? *wink wink*
26. Most certainly in the era of Downton Abbey!
Adieu, Downton Abbey!
My television will be a dreary place without you.
Enjoyed the post? Click to Tweet!
- Downton Abbey Header background: Vanity fair Season 6 poster
- I do not own the rights to the quotes. However, all artwork has been done by Musings by Megha.